About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Apple Pakora

A friend said about pakoras "I get it, its another name for a fritter".  That is exactly correct. Its anything you want, battered and fried. Onions, potatoes, cauliflower, chicken, eggs, bread, sandwiches - whatever you want. What makes it a pakora is that the batter is made from besan (chickpea flour).

These are apple pakoras, which I never saw in India. They do have apples, and like a state fair, there's nothing they won't cover with batter and drop in oil, so I'm sure these get made somewhere.  At home, they're fast and easy to make.


I started with two big apples, peeled, cored and sliced into long, thin pieces.
What you're supposed to do is make the batter separately, so you can whip it well to get an extra fluffy mix. What I did was just dump everything in the bowl. You probably want about a cup of besan and half a cup of water. It should be like cake batter, so adjust as necessary. I also added cumin seeds, corriander seeds, brown mustard, salt, curry powder, and chili powder. Curry powder is not at all authentic in Indian cuisine, but that doesn't change the fact that it tastes good (replace curry powder with garam masala for authenticity). Mix it all up.

Then fry it! I used canola oil, and shallow fried. I don't fry that often so don't keep frying oil around, and don't reuse the oil. Medium heat, 5-7 minutes a side.  
The side that starts on the bottom will be flat, and the top will be textured.  The apples will be mushy inside, like pie filling.  If you used big apple slices, you might be able to keep some crunch, if you're into it.
I served them with chutney (more on the chutney later).

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I just had this wild hair to make pakora with apples....I was actually craving an apple fritter but just wanted a tiny one so I used chickpea flour and a little sugar and chopped up half of a small fuji apple....didn't use any of the spices. It was delicious. Just found your post after googling "apple pakora" just to see if it's been done. I like your idea with the spices as well...May even add some apple in with other veggies someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback! I don't always add the spices to pakoras, especially if I'm feeling lazy. What vegetables would you add? I would probably try carrots or possibly parsnips, maybe even a little onion.

    ReplyDelete