About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Kobe Beef Tacos

These are not traditionally made tacos.  Because I was using high-quality beef, I skipped the spices to let the flavor of the meat (fat) come through, and topped it with collard greens.


At Savenor's, they sell ground Kobe beef for $9/lb, which makes it way more affordable than Kobe steaks ($60+/lb).  And I'm pretty sure its not even Kobe Kobe beef, but American raised Waygu, the breed used in Kobe, Japan.  It still tastes good.

I thought the collard greens would add a richer flavor to complement the beef; I didn't think lettuce would stand up. I started the greens first because they take longer. I cut the stems out of the collards and rolled them up, cutting them into thin strips. After I had done that, I ran the knife through them the long way to make them shorter.  I started some oil, added some garlic, and then the greens. The top went on the pot, and I put it on a low heat.
My general rule for good beef is "don't ruin it".  Doing anything to it is a form of ruining it, so I make it as simple as possible. I only added salt, pepper, some very nice sun dried tomatoes, and homemade pickled jalapenos.  The tomatoes and jalapenos went in a little grape-seed oil, followed by the ground beef, which I had taken out of the refrigerator when I first got into the kitchen.  I pulled apart the meat by hand as I dropped it in.
I cooked it until it was only a little pink and turned off the heat. The heat already in the pan and fat continue to cook the beef, so I stopped a short of where I wanted to end up. I let that sit while I finished up the greens with a dash of herbed vinegar a friend had given me.
Finally, everything went into the taco shell, which I had toasted crisp in the oven.  The tastes and textures came together really well, and I think this an example of getting good ingredients and staying out of their way, although that is something that gets harder and harder to do as the winter comes.




No comments:

Post a Comment