About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Risotto Noodles

When rice is cooked risotto-style, the liquid is added slowly until the rice  has absorbed just the right amount of liquid, giving you perfectly al dente grains in a starch-thickened sauce. The same technique can be used with noodles to get just the right amount of doneness. This approach also lets you use a flavorful liquid, like broth, to cook the noodles without wasting the excess when you drain the noodles.



I started with some sausage that I had previously cooked and frozen, and some vegetables - green pepper, zucchini, sun-dried tomato, and regular tomato. I'll often cook a whole package of sausage even when I only need a few ounces, and then freeze the excess so that I have it to use in small amounts in situations like this.  Obviously, skip the sausage if you want this to be vegetarian.
I fried the sausage until it had thawed added the vegetables. After letting them cook for a minute, I added a small amount of vegetable broth. Once this was steaming hot, I added the noodles. In this case I used buckwheat noodles.

I should have added the vegetables after the noodles, but I added them after the sausage had thawed. The veggies ended getting overcooked, and it made it difficult to mix the noodles in the liquid. There isn't enough liquid to cook the noodles, so every time the pan almost goes dry, add a little more broth. Check for doneness as you go. Before long, you will have perfectly cooked noodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment