About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Skillet Potatoes

I don't eat many potatoes; I basically only like french fries and breakfast potatoes, and then only when done right.  To me, "done right" means crispy and bit spicy.  Here's one way to make that happen.


You'll need a pan that can go in the oven - I use cast iron.  Preheat the oven to around 400 degrees while you get everything together.  Start by cubing a few potatoes (I actually used one huge one) and slicing an onion.  The way I slice the onion for this is to cut it in half, and then do the slicing, so you end up with long onion string.
Add your spices of choice to the potatoes.  I used applewood smoked salt, Trader Joe's smoked blend (paprika, basil, sea salt), and Mexican chili powder.  Toss it up with some oil to coat.  I used grapeseed oil, but you can use anything that can handle the 400 degree temperatures (not olive oil!).

Get your pan nice and hot, add a little more oil (I used bacon fat, but we'll pretend this is a vegetarian dish). and start the potatoes and onions cooking.
Give them a flip after 2 or 3 minutes and then throw them in the oven.  I do 10 minutes, flip/stir, then another 10 minutes (or more), waiting until the onions start to burn.  By this point, the potatoes should be browned and crispy and the burned onions are so good, I've considered doing a pan of nothing but onions!  The one thing this dish is missing is garlic, but I haven't found a good way to keep the garlic from burning, and burnt garlic is gross.   You can add garlic powder to the spice mix if you want.
I use the stovetop-to-oven technique quite a bit for pan-frying.  I think that it works better than roasting because you are adding it to a hot pan, so there's less sticking, and getting the food coated immediately with hot oil helps it cook and crisp better, with less oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment