About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Duck Fat

I had some duck skin and fat left over from some duck, and used it to render out the duck fat. Duck fat has a distinctive and delicious taste. It rivals pork fat in awesomeness.
I had kept the duck fat in the fridge for a few days. This is the skin from one breast. The skin plus the fat was almost as thick as the meat. I put pieces into enough water to cover it and brought it to a simmer.
By the time the water boiled off, the fat had started melting out of the pieces. I kept the heat on for a good bit longer to make sure I got it all out.
I strained out, and ate, the cracklings, and poured the fat into a container for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment