About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Twice Cooked Pork

Twice cooked pork is a Chinese dish where pork belly is boiled and then sliced and fried. I like the idea of it, but in restaurants it's always too chewy. Traditionally, the pork is mixed with cabbage and/or leeks, but I used green bell peppers because that's what I felt like.


I started with the pork belly, and boiled it with ginger and salt for around 45 minutes. This is the first cooking.
I removed the pork belly from the water and let it cool. I should have removed the skin at this point, as it had lots of little bristly hairs, but I left it on thinking the fried skin would be good and crispy, but it ended up weird and chewy. I cut the pork into slices and covered the slices with a rub of salt, pepper and szechwan pepper. The I fried them up!
I gave the slices plenty of space to cook individually and then let them drain on a paper towel. While they were crisping/cooling, I lightly fried up some green peppers, and added a mix of soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine, and a little bit of chili-garlic paste.
Then all that was left to do was mix in the pork, and it was done! This took a good bit of time and effort in the kitchen, so I wouldn't make it as an everyday dish, but it was very good and I would make it again for special occasions.



2 comments:

  1. Mmm, this looks like an elevated version of take-out. Well done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This was definitely trying to copy the restaurant dish, and I think it turned out pretty well.

    ReplyDelete