About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Homemade Lamb Sausage with Mint Fenugreek Sauce

I love the taste of lamb sausage, and I decided to make my own. I used fresh thyme as a "rope" to connect the links, and made a chutney-like sauce out of fresh mint and fenugreek.


To transform the lamb from a simple lamb-burger into sausage, I added chopped shallots, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, mint, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper. These were mixed together and combined with a little less than one pound of good quality ground lamb.

I then took the mixture and formed sausage links, embedding sprigs of thyme to connect them in threes. These went into a pan to be fried up. I was careful enough that I didn't break any of the sausage chains when I flipped them! 

To make the sauce, I used a mixture of fenugreek leaves (which can be hard to find... ask at an Indian grocery) and fresh mint, with black sesame seeds, salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, and a little sugar. The sugar should be just enough to balance the bitterness of the fenugreek and the sourness of the lemon, but not enough to make the sauce taste sweet. These all went into in a food processor, where they were blended into a sauce.
The process is a bit more time consuming than the three short paragraphs of instructions imply, especially since you have to take the time to form a dozen or so sausage links, but its overall an easy dish, and its hard to go wrong with lamb and fresh herbs. This ended up being eaten as a late snack with friends, although the cat stole the last one after everyone was too polite it take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment