About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Stuffed Bok Choy

 
I got this idea from the Ideas In Food blog, where they usually do much crazier things involving dehydrators or smokers or sous vide cookers, so I was happy to see something I could follow along with. The idea is stuff baby bok choy with sausage, and then bake it. Their approach was a little more complicated, and had an additional step of adding tomato sauce after roasting.


I took a more straightforward approach and just stuffed the bok choy with sausage.

I threw them in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
They came out with the sausage in a clump with some crispy leaves, and the bok choy stalk was tender, but separate from the sausage. It worked great if you cut it all up and then mixed them together, blending the sausage and the bok choy. It fell short of "tender tomato rich bok choy flavored throughout with caramelized sausage," but was still very good. I skipped the tomato sauce that Ideas in Food used entirely, and I am not sure how to get the sausage to carmelized without burning up the leaves. Possibly a higher temperature for shorter time to start the browning, and use just enough tomato sauce to keep the wilted leaves moist, allowing the sausage to stat high and dry and hot? I will post again if I figure anything out!


No comments:

Post a Comment