About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Breakfast Salad

One Saturday morning, I woke up and went to the kitchen with the intention of making a bacon and egg on bagel sandwich, but was out of bagels and bread. I did have some fresh salad greens that I needed to eat, so I improvised and made a breakfast salad.


I cooked up the bacon with the white parts of some green onions while I started boiling water to poach an egg. When the bacon was done, I chopped it up with the cooked onion and the uncooked onion greens, and mixed it up with some pepper, some extra bacon fat, and some lemon juice.

I mixed up the dressing with the greens and then added the poached egg (made just before it was added). The gooey yolk acted as additional ingredient of the dressing. I liked that this salad felt substantial, and the onions and the greens made it a healthier meal than just bacon and eggs. I've made it again since, and it also works well as a quick dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment