About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Mango Chicken

This mango chicken dish combines sweet and sour flavors. The sauce is made mostly of mangoes and roasted red peppers which give it an intense red color. I battered and fried the chicken, but you can save time by just stir frying it.

I've never had great success battering chicken, but I have moved a big step closer to a viable technique. I used cornstarch and water to make a thick paste, mixed in the cut-up chicken, and put it in the freezer for 45 minutes. Between the viscosity of the cornstarch mixture and the cold temperature, you end up with a coating that doesn't want to go anywhere.

While waiting for the chicken to chill, I can started making the sauce. The base of the sauce is the simply flesh of two mangoes, and a jar of roasted red peppers. They go into the food processor to be liquefied.

One problem I often have with frying the chicken is not using enough oil. This time I used about a half inch in the pan, and it worked great. The chicken fried perfectly, and the oil was clear and free from particles. 

The mango/pepper puree went into a pan with brown sugar, cider vinegar, soy sauce, and a pinch of chili powder. At the same time I lightly sauteed onions and green and red bell peppers. When the sauce was hot and the vegetables cooked al dente, I mixed everything together in the pan and scooped some onto my plate.








No comments:

Post a Comment