About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Monday, April 15, 2013

Roasted Pork Belly


Pork belly is the part of the pig that bacon is made from. Because of the high amount of fat, it is a perfect cut for slow roasting. The crispy skin is an added bonus.

To prep the meat, I made diagonal incisions in the skin and covered it in a rub of salt, pepper, szechuan pepper, and five spice powder. I placed the meat in a casserole dish on top of a bed of sliced red pepper and onions, to which I added a little soy sauce. This went into the oven for an hour at 350 degrees.

When the meat came out, it was falling-apart tender, so I let it cool and refrigerated it before slicing. I saved the onions and peppers, which were now dripping with pork fat, as a sauce. There are no fancy serving pictures of this one because I was hungry and devoured the pork and vegetables with rice. This was so simple and delicious, it's something I'm going to experiment with some more.


No comments:

Post a Comment