About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Grilled Pasta Sauce

I call this "grilled pasta sauce" even though its not really saucy. However, I use it the same way I would use sauce out of a jar, which is why I think of it that way.  The "sauce" is basically just grilled sausage and vegetables. I like to cook the ingredients for this while I'm grilling something else for immediate consumption, because there is an extra step or two to prepare it.

This time, I used bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, onions, zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic. You can use whatever veggies you have, but I recommend the tomatoes and onions. I put the garlic and jalapeno pepper on a skewer so it did fall in. I grilled the vegetables until they were tender, and some hot Italian sausage until it was cooked. I don't often hear about people grilling tomatoes, but they do just fine. I put them on a cooler part of the grill, and they kind of stew in their skins.

Then I diced everything up, sauteed it in some olive oil with a little salt and pepper, added some basil and ate with pasta! Its a very simple preparation that is especially good with fresh, quality vegetables. This is easily made vegan by skipping the sausage or substituting some kind of soy or fake meat product.


No comments:

Post a Comment