About

A blog about cooking and food, and how to make it taste good and be healthy. The dishes are almost all gluten/dairy free, and many are vegetarian. The focus is on techniques and ingredients over recipes - this is about everyday cooking, and that means making it work with whats on hand!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pork Cheek with Root Vegetables

I saw pork cheek at the store the other day, and tried looking it up on my phone... I didn't find much, but I picked them up to try anyway. They are surprisingly lean, streaked with more cartilage than fat, and therefore are suited for low, slow cooking. They taste like very meaty pork - yet another flavor from the pig! I cooked them up with root vegetables, and they were delicious.

The cheeks themselves are small chunks of meat, and I cut them up further into what were intended to be medallions. Due to the irregularity of the pieces, they ended up as just smaller chunks. I seared the chunks in a hot cast iron pan, which I then put in a preheated oven (325 degrees) for about half an hour.
After a half hour, I added in some turnips, beets, carrots, green bell pepper along with salt, pepper, and a little wine. Then I put it back in the oven for 45 minutes, at which point I gave the contents of the pan a stir and added the greens from the beats. I turned the oven up to 350 and let it cook for another 15 minutes before I pulled it out.
I ate it with a piece of garlic bread to wipe up the juices, and it was delicious. The pork was flavorful and complimented the earthiness of the vegetables, and I have gone back to pick up a few more packs of the cheeks.






No comments:

Post a Comment